Monday, March 31, 2014

Farro & Carrot Risotto



This is one of those dishes which, despite being ridiculously simple, are amazingly good. I've been experimenting with Farro for a while already, and every time I come up with delicious combinations which are both healthy and yummy. This is actually my favourite kind of food, you can eat tons of it every day and it's still good for you. And as you know already, it contains very simple and cheap ingredients. But there's one important thing - use a really good natural vegetable stock. Try to find the one which tastes really good because it's really important in this dish. So if you haven't tried using Farro, I highly recommend to do it right now! This recipe seems like a perfect start, isn't it?

P.S. For this recipe, use pearled Farro. Whole-grain Farro requires longer cooking time - about 60 minutes.

Farro & Carrot Risotto 

2 tbsp oil
2 medium onions, chopped
1 large carrot (80g), shredded
4 cloves garlic, minced
500ml vegetable stock (with salt)
100g farro

1) In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Add onion and cook over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes and then add garlic and carrot. Stir to combine, cover, and cook for about 5 minutes until onions turn translucent and lightly caramelized and the carrots soften a little bit. Stir occasionally.

2) Add farro and cook for a minute. Now start adding vegetable stock into it, one cup at a time. Stir occasionally. Repeat the process of adding stock as soon as the liquid gets absorbed. You might not need to use up all the stock - stop adding it as soon as the farro is cooked through. Cook for about 20 minutes until farro is soft and all the liquid is absorbed.

You could serve this with a little bit of Parmesan cheese on top.

Serves 1-2.

Recipe by collecting memories

2 comments:

  1. I am a lover of rice, so when I discovered farro, I found something I liked as much as the rice and was similar. It's great to use one or the other, depending on the day. This way, eat and cook can't seem boring, right?

    And it's faster, too, because I also used a quick cooking farro that I've ready in 10-15 minutes.
    I'll copy the recipe this week :D

    I also found your farro bake, some weekend (weekend I eat with my boyf, and I know he will like this) will prepare. I've never baked farro!

    Do you use it in salads? Because with spinach goes great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think farro is such a great thing, but many people haven't heard of it! It should be more famous :D I love it because it can replace rice in every recipe.
      I never tried using quick cooking farro, I actually haven't seen it in stores!
      Oh, I was drooling over some farro salad recipes, but I still haven't made it. I will have to try it when I have fresh spinach!
      I think your boyfriend is the happiest person on earth! He gets to try all your dishes.. :o

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...